On May 20, Jonathan Edwards Winery held their second annual Culinary Showdown between five restaurants from Rhode Island and five from Connecticut. Each of the ten dishes, as well as each state, was voted on by the over 300 people in attendance. Chef Mike McHugh of Julian’s in Providence, Rhode Island won favorite overall dish. The Connecticut team took the grand prize which was $1,500 for their charity, Connecticut Farmland Trust. The Rhode Island team’s charity, Chefs Collaborative, was given $1,000.
The participating restaurants, each paired with a local farm, and their dishes were:
From Rhode Island:
- The Dorrance, Chef Benjamin Sukle & Bomster Family Scallops and Aquidneck Farms – Bomster Family Scallop and Aquidneck Beef tartar, with Pickled Crudites, Sorrel and Togarashi
- Eat Drink RI at Blackbird Farm, Chef David Dadekian & Blackbird Farm – BBQ Blackbird Farm Brisket and Kimchi Slaw Taco
- Julian’s, Chef Mike McHugh & Schartner Farms and Blackbird Farm – Maple Cured Blackbird Farm Pork Loin, Schartner Farms Rye Biscuit, Chili Creme Fraiche Ice Cream with chocolate balsamic reduction
- Local 121, Chef David Johnson & Narragansett Creamery – Narragansett Creamery Panna Cotta with Strawberries, toasted almonds and micro basil
- Ocean House, Chef John Kolesar & Narragansett Creamery – Ocean House cured pastrami, pickled ramp relish, spicy mustard, Narragansett Creamery Atwells Gold cheese and caraway brioche bun
- CW’s Chops ‘N’ Catch, Chef Cory Wry & Bomster Family Scallops and Beltane Farm – Bomster Family Scallop, Bacon and Beltane Farm Goat Cheese / Sweet Potato Croquettes
- Daniel Packer Inne, Chef Chaz Paul & Curtain Farms and Lighthouse Bakery – Curtain Farms Beef Tenderloin with creamy gorgonzola and walnut demi glace served on a Lighthouse Bakery crouton, accompanied by red bliss potato croquette and black truffle butter English peas
- Kensington’s, Chef Dennis Anderson & Wildowsky Dairy – Honey hoisin glazed Wildowsky Dairy pork confit on a blue corn tostada with micro herb salad and blood orange vinaigrette
- Morton’s Steak House, Chef Kris Lincoln & Stonington Lobster, Frim Fram Farm and Farm to Hearth – Stonington Lobster, black truffle aioli, Frim Fram Farm microgreen salad, chive and lobster roe oil, served on toasted Farm to Hearth polenta bread
- Octagon, Chef Paul Krawic & Bomster Family Scallops, Cato Corner Farm and Maple Lane Farms – Pan seared Bomster Family Scallop Sliders with Cato Corner Farm Womanchego Fondue and Maple Lane Farms Bibb Lettuce
Jonathan Edwards Winery was pouring five of their wines to accompany the dishes: 2010 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc, 2010 Russian River Pinot Gris, 2010 Estate Connecticut Chardonnay, Stone Table Red, 2009 Napa Valley Petite Sirah.
Congratulations to Chef McHugh, Julian’s and all the Connecticut chefs.